In Memory of My Daddy
His Last Car
This is a copy of the page I created when we sold his car a few years ago. My Daddy passed away at the ripe old age of 102, and this car was his baby. He wiped off the engine and checked the fluids every time he drove it for all his years of driving it.
After he could no longer drive, he would back it in and out of the garage and run it for awhile in the driveway to keep the battery charged and everything working properly.
I wrote several posts about my Daddy’s lifetime love affair with automobiles dating back to the early 1900’s on my Yesterday’s Memories blog, if you would like to read some of them.
1969 Chevrolet Caprice Classic
Body, Vinyl Top, and Interior in Excellent Condition
4 Door – No Center Post
Original 350 Engine
During his last years we were too busy taking care of Daddy and other family members, too, to take care of his car. So after his death we had our local mechanic bring it up to running condition.
Because of the age of the vehicle, there is no Title.
I was able to find the original plastic bag with the Chevrolet emblem and other printing. In that is the original red owner’s manual, an unused cardboard coupon leaflet for 5 free lubrications from Edwards Chevrolet, the original envelope for the Warranty, with Daddy’s last name written on it. But best of all, the original warranty is there, and the Protect-O-Plate has never been removed from it. The salesman’s signature is there (our next door neighbor at the time), and the rubber stamp information shows Edwards Chevrolet as the Authorized Selling Dealer Plate Imprint. All of Daddy’s information is hand written there, too. It shows the original retail sale date as 9/19/69.
Only the plastic bag it was stored in shows any wear at all.
I blurred the personal information on the photo, but it is crystal clear on the actual form.
- New Battery with terminals
- 2 Fuel Filters
- New Valve Cover Gasket
- New Rear Brake Shoes
- Turned Drums
- Changed Transmission Fluid
- 2 New Tires
- VIN NUMBER 166399T167244
- Clear Title
- No Warranty
- Original V8 350 Engine
- 4 door
- Two Tone Original Green Exterior
- Two Tone Green All Original Interior
- Dark Green Original Vinyl Top
- AC – Factory Installed – Compressor was replaced sometime in the past with a rebuilt one.
- Original Automatic Transmission
- Original Radio
- Original Clock – not working
- Bench Seats in front and back
- Shoulder and lap seat belts front and back
- Full size spare and jack in trunk
- Garaged in Alabama – no beach salt, road salt, hail, or flood damage
- Never in a wreck to my knowledge (My Daddy’s car)
- No dents – solid body throughout
- Original Owner’s Manual
- Original Warranty with the Protect-O-Plate
- Steering wheel has cracks in it, but it is intact.
- Right front chrome bumper has some scrapes.
- Trunk lid has mismatched paint repair.
- Driver’s door handle has duct tape repair of a vinyl tear.
- Right front door exterior has a small scrape on it, and there are other very minor scratches and tiny rust spots.